The Courage to Be Good Rather Than Merely Nice: The Danger of Confusing Niceness With Goodness

Sometimes the most wicked-hearted people you will ever encounter in your life are groups of "nice" people who have learned to confuse social respectability with moral integrity, never realizing that it is entirely possible to be courteous, publicly respectable, and outwardly pleasant while participating in profound injustice toward others.

These types of communities, social groups, and organizations, despite their outward appearance of decency and respectability, practice some of the most baneful magick by directing their collective will, focused communal energy, and coordinated actions toward the humiliation, exclusion, intimidation, or destruction of others, while convincing themselves that their outward politeness somehow absolves them of the harm that they are causing.

I learned this lesson the hard way when a community of outwardly "nice" people made me their target. That's how I came to understand that a pleasant public image is not the same thing as having genuine moral character, and that some of the deepest forms of injustice are carried out at the hands of community structures, social groups, and organizations that do not openly appear cruel, but that have instead learned how to conceal their harmful intentions, bad-faith practices, and destructive conduct behind courtesy, social respectability, and the approval of the crowd.

People say that you never truly understand the reality of injustice until it happens to you, and I wish it weren't that way, but in my own life there is truth to that. This is because until it happened to me, I had never fully awakened to how easily outward respectability, a polished public image, social approval, and a reputation for being "nice" can conceal profound moral failure, nor had I realized how readily communities can rationalize harmful behavior when it serves the interests of the group.

It truly opened my eyes not only to the realities that exist within certain communities, but also to areas of my own life that still needed refinement, healing, and deeper transformation, revealing the ways in which I, too, had room to grow in wisdom, discernment, and character. To put it into other words though, the experience not only exposed the shortcomings within these types of communities, but it also became a catalyst for my own ongoing inner transformation.

This means that after going through that experience, it permanently changed the way I understand character, integrity, and the difference between appearing good and what actually being a good person entails. And I now recognize my own former naïveté surrounding the tendency to equate outward respectability, a polished public image, social approval, and a reputation for being "nice" with genuine moral character and integrity.

It's gotten me to think a lot about the difference between the underlying dishonesty that niceness tends to conceal within individuals and community systems and what it actually means to be authentic in one's character. It has also led me to ask myself, even in my own life, how I can become a more authentic, honest, and integrous human being who isn't using "niceness" as a substitute for genuine moral character, but who is instead committed to continually cultivating integrity, wisdom, humility, and authenticity from the inside out.

I'd say that even speaking on this issue is a big step forward for me in becoming more authentic and in actually being a person who strives to live in alignment with the values I profess, because authenticity requires the courage to speak honestly about things that others would prefer to remain hidden, ignored, rationalized, or left unexamined. And while there are a plethora of hidden realities that deserve to be brought into the light, this is one that I believe I've been personally called to shine light on in my own spiritual journey.

I hope that this helps others better understand certain types of community systems that they may be experiencing, involved in, or navigating, or that they simply want to better understand, while also inviting them to go within and to examine themselves honestly, by reflecting on the true condition of their own heart, conscience, and character, and to ask where "niceness" may have become a substitute for authenticity, integrity, genuine moral character, and the ongoing work of inner transformation in their own lives.

This is because my desire isn't simply to expose what is unhealthy within the communities, social structures, and environments that surround us, but my desire is to also encourage all of us—including myself—to become more truthful, more authentic, and more deeply committed to cultivating genuine moral character, where our outward social persona is an authentic reflection of a heart, soul, and mind that is continually being refined through honesty, humility, integrity, and inner transformation, rather than a carefully maintained image of "niceness" that masks profound moral failure.



Popular posts from this blog

Cults of Misery: Rising Above Collective Projections and Embracing Our Inner Light

Boundaries and Liberation: Defying the Pharaohs in Our Lives

The Leash of Conformity: How Religious Communities Limit True Psychospiritual Growth