When Collective Hostility Becomes Coordinated Wrongdoing: Civil Conspiracy and the Responsibility of Those Who Participate

 When a community system comes together to unfairly target someone as a group—to isolate them, intimidate them, or otherwise coordinate harmful actions against them—what they are participating in can cross the line from ordinary interpersonal conflict into a civil conspiracy against that person.


A civil conspiracy, in the context of a community, institution, association, or organization, generally involves multiple people reaching an understanding or acting in concert to accomplish an unlawful objective, or to accomplish an otherwise lawful objective through unlawful means, resulting in harm to another person. It is therefore not simply about several people independently disliking the same individual. The deeper issue is coordination: people sharing information, reinforcing one another’s actions, recruiting others into the hostility, concealing what they are doing, or deliberately using their collective influence to bring about a harmful outcome that would be more difficult for any one person to accomplish alone.

So, when multiple people within the same community begin acting together to intimidate, defame, exclude, retaliate against, sabotage, or otherwise harm a particular person, the fact that the mistreatment is being carried out collectively does not make it legitimate. If anything, coordinated participation can make the situation more serious, because the power of an entire social system is being brought to bear against one individual.

This means that no community, institution, organization, association, social circle, or informal network should assume that collective agreement gives its members the right to act in concert against another person in ways that cross legal or ethical boundaries. A group can normalize its own behavior, convince itself that the target deserves what is happening, and reinforce the same narrative among its members, but consensus does not transform unlawful conduct into lawful conduct. And when people knowingly coordinate wrongful acts together as a community that cause another person measurable harm, their collective participation may carry consequences that extend far beyond ordinary social conflict.

In doing so, they may be opening themselves up to potential claims involving civil conspiracy as their coordination becomes more extensive and the harm resulting from that conduct becomes more measurable. This means that, as that coordinated conduct continues, evidence of their collective participation can begin to accumulate through shared plans, coordinated acts, deliberate attempts to recruit others into the effort, and wrongful actions carried out in furtherance of that common objective. Taken together, these actions can potentially demonstrate that what occurred was not simply a series of isolated interpersonal disputes, but a concerted course of conduct involving multiple people working toward the same harmful end.

And that is why people should be very careful about allowing themselves to be recruited into collective campaigns against another human being. This is because becoming part of that collective effort does not necessarily shield a person from responsibility simply because others are participating alongside them. So, once someone knowingly begins contributing to a coordinated effort that facilitates a harmful collective objective, and it causes demonstrable harm, they may no longer be standing on the sidelines of someone else’s conflict—they may be becoming an active participant in the conduct itself and part of a much larger and more serious pattern of coordinated wrongdoing.

I have been on the receiving end of what I came to understand as a civil conspiracy before, so I know the harm that coordinated group targeting can cause to a person’s mental, emotional, and even physical well-being when multiple people decide to work together against one individual. At first, in the midst of what I was experiencing, I did not fully understand the dynamics of what was happening to me and did not even have the language to describe the pattern of coordinated behavior that I was being subjected to. I simply knew that something about the situation felt larger than an ordinary interpersonal conflict.

But now that I am more conscious and aware of how coordinated group behavior can operate, I am better able to recognize the difference between isolated acts of hostility and patterns in which multiple people appear to be reinforcing, facilitating, or participating in the same course of conduct.

What has become especially clear to me, however, is how psychologically damaging it can be when one person feels as though they are being confronted not simply by another individual, but by the collective weight of an entire social environment. It can make a person question their perceptions, feel unsafe in environments that once seemed benign, and experience an enormous amount of stress from trying to understand why so many different people within the same social environment seem to be participating in the same pattern of hostility toward them at once.

That experience changed the way that I think about collective responsibility, because I came to understand that when people allow themselves to be recruited into someone else’s campaign against another person, their individual participation matters, and that group participation does not erase their individual accountability. This means that they are still responsible for the choices they personally make, the information they spread, the actions they take, and whatever harm those actions may cause, even among a larger group of people participating in the same collective effort.

So today, I am much more aware of the importance of recognizing coordinated mistreatment early, documenting concrete conduct when necessary, protecting my own boundaries, and refusing to allow the collective behavior of other people to determine how I understand my own self-worth, dignity as a human being, or the reality that I consciously experience. And although the awareness I now have about what was happening cannot undo what I went through, going forward, it can allow me to move through any similar situation with the language, discernment, and level of personal agency that I now possess but did not have when I was first trying to understand the coordinated behavior I was experiencing.



Popular posts from this blog

Cults of Misery: Rising Above Collective Projections and Embracing Our Inner Light

Boundaries and Liberation: Defying the Pharaohs in Our Lives

The Leash of Conformity: How Religious Communities Limit True Psychospiritual Growth